One of the best things about the holidays is throwing an unforgettable party. However with so many expenses during this season, it can be tough to slot in party planning with a limited bank account. Not to worry… here are some suggestions on how to throw a rockin’ party without emptying your bank account.
How to throw a party on a budget:
Food and Drink
Food and drink are the most costly party expense, so here’s where you have to get creative
- Shorten the guest list. Although it may be difficult to not invite people to your best party of the year, try to keep it to close friends – your bank account will thank you.
- Encourage your guests to bring a dish or beverage. Most guests ask if they can bring something, just say yes! Most people are open to suggestions, so assign your guests a specific item on your shopping list — like cookies, appetizers, chopped veggies or drinks.
- Make a shopping list. Put together a list of exactly the items you will be serving. Although this seems like an obvious step, it’s usually one people overlook, making the mistake of shopping without one and getting more than intended.
- Shop at big-box stores. Although your local supermarket may be more convenient, it will end up costing you much more for your party needs. When you buy in larger quantities at big-box stores like Costco, it’s ends up being more money in your pocket.
- Host your party as pre or post meal times. Schedule your party around the times of 2-5 pm or host an after-dinner cocktail party. That way guests can BYOB and you will only have to serve snacks and appetizers.
Decorations are great way to bring out the Christmas spirit and make your place feel festive! But who wants to spend a ton of money on seasonal décor that spends most of its time in storage?
- Visit dollar stores. You can find all kinds of inexpensive holiday décor at dollar stores. A lot of these stores sell identical decoration to those that are sold at party stores, but at a fraction of the price…
- Get crafty! Add a personal touch to your party with homemade decorations that will have your guests admiring your creativity. To find the best DIY ideas, search Pinterest. You can find countless ideas and tutorials on how to make eye-catching decorations.
- Play music or movies. No need for a DJ! Get your guests into the holiday spirit with free holidays playlists on websites like Google Play Music and Spotify. While the party is going, put a classic holiday movie on your TV with the sound off – it’s a great way to start conversation.
- Play games. There is a large array of games for grown ups that a lot of fun for little to absolutely no added cost! Try game charades, truth or dare or Cards Against Humanity. For more ideas visit PurpleTrail.com.
- Soak in your Beachcomber. There is no doubt that taking a dip in a hot tub can really get the party going. Encourage your guests to bring bathing suits to the party. Depending on the party, it can be the perfect way to get people socializing.
No matter what your budget, you can still plan a successful holiday shindig that will have you looking like the host with the most!