With the summer months approaching, you want to have a fabulous outdoor space to entertain friends and family, have backyard parties or even just dine al fresco outdoors when the weather’s warm. But here’s the problem: you don’t know how to begin designing your perfect backyard patio.
Well, with some expert tips and a little guidance, you’ll be able to create the best patio to full embrace and enjoy the long summer nights!
Here’s a couple tips to keep in mind before and during any patio renovations to turn your backyard into an intimate outdoor living space:
- No matter the flooring material you choose (granite, hardwood, stone or concrete), make sure you keep the flooring consistent to all the different spaces on the patio to keep the rooms from feeling too frenetic and unbalanced
- Combining built-in & freestanding furniture can help differentiate and delineate different patio spaces (ie. having freestanding couches around a built-in fire pit)
- Directing the view on a patio is important. By situating a bench or a long outdoor sectional on one end of the patio, you encourage visitors to look out at the rest of the yard
- Instead of using plain concrete to build any built-in furniture, considering adding some stones or tile mosaic for some whimsical design elements.
Does your vision of a perfect patio include a gathering spot or a focal point? A fireplace, or a hot tub can be a great gathering spot. To make a feature stand out though, consider the following ideas:
- Do you want the feature to blend in or stand-out?
- How will it impact the amount of space for other design elements? Ensure that you aren’t trying to fit too much into too small of a space
- Think about the types of colours and patterns you want to use to draw attention to the space if your vision is to make it a focal point
Even when it comes to the rest of the patio, think about having a colour scheme. If your colour scheme is more on the neutral side, try mixing it up with subtle patterns with different brick sizes to spice things up. If your colour scheme is more vibrant and warm, use more neutral stone for the patio floor, built-in seating and focal points.
If you have a larger grass backyard behind the patio, consider planting more lush greenery like flowers, green ferns and possibly even some herbs and vegetables to seamlessly transition the patio into the grass yard. Also consider planting some narrow upright trees to separate each area (dining, fireplace etc.) from each other as well as to provide shade.
One last tip to help you start to build your perfect backyard patio: if your patio extends to another yard, make sure you plant a row of short hedges to ensure privacy and property division.
Now you have an expert checklist in hand to help you create your patio paradise!
Feel free to drop us a line, or drop into one of our authorized dealers if you want to know more about what you need to consider when you’re thinking about adding a hot tub to your backyard or patio and any of the specifics and features inside Beachcomber Hot Tubs.
For a limited-time only, discover the ultimate hot tub experience, at an unbeatable savings, with the Beachcomber Anniversary Edition Models! Save $5,630!