With the holidays nearing and the hectic social calendar that they entail, it can be tough to carve out time for yourself. And tougher still to remember to make small gestures that can make a difference in the lives of others. World Kindness Day is today, and one way to celebrate is to do something thoughtful for a friend or loved one, or to reconnect with a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while. Of course, sometimes it’s not friends but strangers who need the most kindness, especially around the approaching holidays.
Check out this list of 20 random acts of kindness and make a small gesture today that can be paid forward!
- Pay for someone’s groceries behind you in line.
- Pay for the lunch of people behind you at a fast food restaurant or behind you in the drive thru.
- Take flowers to the nurse’s station at your local hospital – the nurses will know who needs them most.
- Donate coloring books and boxes of new crayons to the hospital’s pediatric wing.
- Take lunch, cookies, or cupcakes to your local fire department and/or police department.
- Leave extra time in the parking meter or fill an expired or about to expire parking meter.
- Put change in a row of vending machines.
- Buy extra groceries for the local food bank.
- Pick up the tab for a random table at a restaurant.
- Tape cash or a gift card on a random gas pump.
- Visit with senior citizens at a nursing home.
- Hand out gloves and mittens to the homeless or leave them on park benches.
- Bring coffee to construction workers, police on shift, or anyone working outside.
- Be understanding of traveling parents with fussy or noisy kids.
- Help someone load their groceries.
- Offer to return someone’s shopping cart to the store.
- Let someone go ahead of you in the checkout line.
- Give a hot drink to the person ringing the Salvation Army bell.
- Leave candy canes on the windshields of random cars.
- Invite someone you suspect will be alone to spend your holiday celebrations with you.
No matter how small the gesture, the significance of an unexpected and thoughtful act will be unforgettable. And by showing kindness to others, whether friends or strangers, you can inspire them to do the same, in the real spirit of #WorldKindnessDay! You can then sit back in the warmth of your Beachcomber tonight, feeling warm and bubbly on the inside as well as the outside.